Looking for something fun to do on the weekend or just a way to spend a few hours of free time? Gainesville has plenty of activities to do right here — no gassing up the car necessary.
- The Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo is open seven days a week, this community attraction is also the laboratory for the Zoo Animal Technology program at Santa Fe College. It is home to over 75 different species of animals, ranging from native to exotic.
- Also located on the Santa Fe College campus is the Kika Silva Pla Planetarium, which seats up to 60 people at a time and features two state-of-the-art planetarium projectors. It’s the only planetarium in North Central Florida, and it features several shows throughout the week.
- The Union Street Farmer’s Market is open every Wednesday in the Bo Diddley Plaza block. The market is a bustle of food and plants from local farmers, artisan goods and treats. There’s even prepared food to buy and enjoy in the plaza square, where there is often live music and children playing and dancing in the grass.
- There are also several other farmer’s markets in Gainesville: the Alachua County Farmer’s Market is open every Saturday from 8:30am to 1pm; the Haile Farmer’s Market is open every Saturday from 8:30 am to noon; and the Tioga Monday market, open from 4-7pm.
- Check out DoArt a pottery and mosaic studio located in Westgate Plaza.
- For book lovers, Gainesville has several well-curated public libraries that are part of the Alachua County Library District.
- The Greater Gator Beer Festival, the annual A Celebration of Wine fundraising event put on by WUFT, and the Gainesville Community Fest all provide fun activities throughout the year.